Simply...Living For Him

When God Changes the Plan

This is such a hard post to write and one that I have been composing in my mind for days. Not just because it is sad, but because it has been a time of confusion between God and me and that is not an easy place to be. Yet, sometimes God needs to teach us by taking us into places we didn’t expect.

A few weeks ago I wrote about our new addition here at Love’s Farm~ Kypp the Australian Shepherd dog. It seemed like such an answer to prayer and so perfectly orchestrated by God. My daughter had been praying about a dog for years and God answered. We posted all the cute photos and were so excited to bring him into our family.

We knew it would be a transition but felt so strongly that God would guide us and lead us and work it all out since He was the one who had graciously given us this situation.

The first few days were up and down. Kypp came from a much different home environment than he had here so naturally, he would need to adjust from a family of 2 to a family of 6…and goats…and chickens…etc.

After the first few days, there continued to be more challenges. All the while I bounced from feeling like this was just too hard, to trusting God to make it work. I kept thinking I needed more faith, I needed to be stronger, I needed to trust more, I needed to know things weren’t always easy. I was continually beating myself up over not having enough faith.

I prayed fervently. And it seemed like every time I submitted to God that I would rest in His will and work through the difficulties, something worse would happen. It was all quite confusing.

Ultimately, as a family, we came to the difficult decision that our family was not the right family for Kypp. His owners graciously comforted us and took him back. They still need to find him a good home. And we trust that home is out there, and this was just a stepping stone to finding it. He is a very good dog and will be a wonderful addition to the right home.

While I am still processing all that happened, there were a few lessons I would like to share:

First, everything isn’t always ideal. In a world of visual glimpses into our lives, we may think all is perfect when behind the scenes there is a struggle. Each cozy and cute photo we shared was in a genuine moment! But there were also times of challenge. So remember, enjoy glimpses of peoples lives knowing they are a moment in time.

Second, God is teaching me that He DID answer our daughter’s prayer. For a while I thought we heard wrong, we stepped out of bounds, this wasn’t from God. But then I remembered, every single detail of our lives is orchestrated by God. He doesn’t make mistakes, and if we think that we have made one, then it is part of His plan to grow us. I remembered the time we took the RV trip that ended badly, even though we prayed fervently about it. Or the time that we bought a farm only to have it fall through. We were so confused until we found this house and it all made sense. God works through it all! And He DID answer our daughter’s prayer for a dog! It’s just that we didn’t have him for the amount of time we thought we would. But for two weeks, she finally had a dog and her prayer was absolutely answered. Who are we to determine the parameters in which He answers?

Third, expectations aren’t always what we planned. And that’s OK. We must be open to God’s results that may look very different from our hopes.

Fourth, I need to stop trying to figure God out. His ways are not my ways. Through every twist and turn is a lesson, but instead of trying to know the lesson ahead of time, sometimes we have to just walk through it and look back on it to see what He wants us to learn. We shouldn’t try to know what He is up to beforehand.

I am a work in progress. I have learned much the past few weeks and will continue until my last breath. This whole situation brought to surface so much work I need on myself, but because is God doing the “heart” work, I can rest knowing it is all good.

And finally, all of this has me even more inspired to start my new project- Simply Living for Him #No Filter. You see, I have struggled the past few weeks with various things personally. The dog situation just brought much of it to the surface. And I learned how very necessary it is to BE REAL. We all need a core group of women that we can share our ups and our downs. We need those moments to just drop the filters and say, “I am struggling.” I had women like that get me through recently. When I felt like I was in my darkest place, to just be able to send a text or look someone in the eye and say, “I’m struggling,” immediately dispelled the darkness and brought in the Light. Women praying with me and encouraging me was essential.

So, my next project is to see how to make this idea work in real life. The purpose is to foster REAL life relationships with women. Face to face. Eye to eye. Hand in hand. Sharing in the CELEBRATIONS of life together (without jealousy) and sharing in the STRUGGLES of life together. Romans 12:15 says, “Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.”

I am working out ideas for videos, online workshops, and real-life local events to get some of these groups going! Would you be interested? Let me know!

Finally, thank you to my dear readers for following along on this journey. I am a mere human trying to do my best to give glory to God in all things. I am grateful for your messages in the past few days. I love sharing glimpses of what God is doing here as we all try to simply live…for HIM!

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

19 Comments

• Reply Colleen December 12, 2018 at 11:24 am

Praying for you and I love your idea fir bringing women closer to each other and God.

• Reply mariel December 12, 2018 at 11:41 am

oh i am definitely interested! my sweet daddy moved to Heaven a week ago today…the pains of 2018 for me came to a crescendo. with moving to a new town as part of the story of my year, i see the great value of real friendships and honest fellowship more than ever.

• Reply Karen DeBeus December 12, 2018 at 11:44 am

excellent! Stay tuned…excited to see where God leads

• Reply Karen DeBeus December 12, 2018 at 11:45 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers lifted for you.

• Reply Kristan December 12, 2018 at 3:38 pm

I find your posts refreshing and much needed! I have always said I am a work in progress and will continue pressing on because I know all to well how human I am. I love this idea of keeping it real, having the prayers and support of others who wish to live for Him (no pun intended) and are searching for the “billboard sign” from God of what to do and where to go…… thank you!

• Reply Karen DeBeus December 12, 2018 at 3:39 pm

<3 You are welcome! Thanks for the kind words!

• Reply Glenda December 12, 2018 at 3:45 pm

Karen, I met you ever so briefly in the lobby at Ttd NWA last year… I shared with you how every year I have gone to TTD -3 now- that I have sought the Lord for direction for someone to connect with that will help be a guide for me on our road of homeschooling. U were that for me in 2018. I was able to attend one of your workshops… about social media freedom I think… and even though it wasn’t a subject I personally struggle with- I sat and wept through the entire session. For seemingly no reason. But I think it was that I sensed the HOLY SPIRIT anointing on you… His presence. His voice saying… here is a woman you can follow. And you have been such an inspiration!!! To come back to letting my life and our homeschool be Jesus focused instead of worry focused. Instead of me trying to always figure everything out…

Even though I have had much more limited time to follow your resources this year than I had hoped- the sum that I have had has ALWAYS inspired me and grown the love in my heart for who YOU are. And you always redirect me back to JESUS! I LOVE that about you!
    I have walked-through a very difficult journey returning from overseas missions, suffering through three years of PTSD, and not being able to return to our home there. There are MANY details to our journey that were so so very HARD to understand. I went through a very difficult theological crisis during that time of wondering if we had missed God somewhere, or didn’t have enough faith… etc.
    I get it. You are so right about how we learn through the difficult unexpected. It brings us back to the the basic core of everything. As you say, It’s all about Jesus.”
    Hugs and ❤️!

• Reply Karen DeBeus December 12, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Wow! I am speechless. Thank you for reaching out with such kindness. I appreciate your words and encouragement! Hope to see you at TTD again this year! Many blessings to you!! ~Karen

• Reply Angie December 12, 2018 at 5:00 pm

I am interested! This blog post spoke directly to me as I am in a similar season. Thankful to read this!

• Reply Andrea Jacobsen December 12, 2018 at 5:08 pm

Loved reading this – it’s what I needed to hear!

• Reply Jodi December 13, 2018 at 7:50 am

Yes, intersted!

• Reply Michelle December 13, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Karen I do very much need this. You spoke directly to my heart and this is an area of my life I have been praying about. Being able to be REAL and loved and accepted by other women! Thank you for this post! Michelle

• Reply Elizabeth December 16, 2018 at 10:09 am

Thank you so much for this post. I went through a similar situation. I love the lessons you have shared. They apply so well and help me see God’s bigger picture. Sometimes I get so consumed with the struggle it’s difficult to step back and see that it is all God’s plan and it will be ok, because He is in charge.

• Reply Karen DeBeus December 16, 2018 at 2:33 pm

I am so glad it helped you in some way! Thanks for reading. God bless!